Change of college application
Important details about application deadlines, admissions criteria, requirements and advising can be found on our change of college page. Please review the sample degree worksheet and program planning form as a guide to properly completing the forms. Peer Advisers are available in 230 Bechtel during the fall and spring semesters to review your forms. Please submit all completed application materials to the ESS peer adviser email: email@example.com. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The College of Engineering will not accept change of college applications for any of the following: EECS major, EECS/MSE joint major, EECS/NE joint major.
- Unofficial Transcript. You should be able to print an unofficial transcript from CalCentral on the “My Academics” page. You can also go to Cal Student Central in Sproul Hall to request an unofficial transcript.
- Major application worksheet:
- Aerospace engineering
- Bioengineering/materials science & engineering
- Civil engineering
- Energy engineering
- Engineering math & statistics
- Engineering physics
- Environmental engineering science
- Industrial engineering & operations research
- Materials science & engineering
- Materials science & engineering/mechanical engineering
- Materials science & engineering/nuclear engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Mechanical engineering/nuclear engineering
- Nuclear engineering
- Degree worksheet: In general students should use the degree worksheet specifically for the year you were admitted to the University. For example, if you entered UC Berkeley in Fall 2020 and are applying to switch into Civil Engineering in Fall 2022, you should pick the 2020 Civil Engineering Degree Worksheet.
- Program planning form semester-by-semester plan from current semester to graduation date
- Change of major form, or Simultaneous degree form AND Simultaneous degree supplemental form
- Personal statement, one or two pages, explaining your motivation and preparation for an engineering degree. Topics might include:
- How did you become interested in engineering?
- Why are you interested in this major? What excites you about studying this major? Is there an option in the major you plan to follow?
- What experiences influenced your decision (i.e., jobs, related projects, courses, discussions with faculty, professional engineers or engineering students)?
- What other experiences, such as co-curricular activities, have you had that you can relate to engineering? You should also include activities that may not relate to engineering. What skills did you learn from these activities that will help you in engineering?
- What are your goals or aspirations with an engineering degree?
- Why didn’t you choose to apply directly to the College of Engineering as a freshman?
Please submit all completed application materials to the ESS peer adviser email: esspeeradvisers@